Brainsway Deep TMS is a new treatment for patients suffering from depression who have not achieved satisfactory improvement from prior antidepressant treatment.
Brainsway Deep Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (Deep TMS) is a noninvasive technique used to apply brief magnetic pulses to the brain. The pulses are administered by passing high currents through an electromagnetic coil placed adjacent to a patient’s scalp. The pulses induce an electric field 1 to 2 inches into the underlying brain tissue. When the induced field is above a certain threshold, and is directed in an appropriate orientation relative to the brains’ neuronal pathways, the neurons in the relevant brain structures are activated. Deep TMS is based on magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) technology but does not have any radiation since no X-Rays are taken.
Benefits and Advantages of Deep TMS
- Non-Invasive, out-patient treatment
- Statistically and clinically significant improvement in depression symptoms (Results from a systemic review and meta-analysis of 9 studies of Deep TMS done in 2015 showed 60% of patients responded and 29% remitted and Brainsway Ltd data on file reports in real life practice reveals 75% of patients responded and 51% remitted after 30 treatments.)
- Following your first treatment appointment which lasts approximately 60 minutes, there are daily treatment appointments lasting approximately 30 minutes
- No seizures or anesthesia involved like with ECT (electroconvulsive therapy)
- Nothing is surgically implanted into the body like Vagal Nerve Stimulation or Deep Brain Stimulation
- Unlike Spravato (Esketamine Nasal Spray) or Ketamine infusions, you can drive yourself to and from the treatments without inconveniencing friends or family
- TMS also does not cause dissociation or cause people to not be in touch with reality temporarily like Ketamine or Spravato
- No hospitalization
- No adverse effects on cognition or memory
- Few or no side effects (most severe side effect is a headache, scalp discomfort). Less than 5% of patients discontinued treatment due to side effects.
- Patients do NOT have to stop taking medication in order to receive Deep TMS
- FDA approved
- Deep TMS works deeper in the brain and targets a broader area of the prefrontal brain region than regular TMS. The unique coil design is felt to maximize cortical (brain) neuron stimulation where the antidepressant effects are presumed to work. It also leads to a broader electrical field which increases the likelihood the correct area of the brain will be targeted
- Among clinicians who have used both Brainsway and Neurostar TMS, it appears Brainsway is more effective than Neurostar. According to a study done in 2019, deep TMS had a better response rate and a greater reduction of depression severity than regular TMS.
*Adapted from Winston, Jaron, Texas TMS Center, Austin TX, texastmscenter.com, Rev. 8-2017